In honor of World Smile Day, we have found our two favorite activities to help encourage the kids to smile, laugh and be active. The first activity is a fun way to get kids outdoors, take them for a nature walk around the school. Have them enjoy the beautiful October weather.
Supplies for Nature Faces:
- Various natural materials such as: Leaves, flowers, moss, grass, rocks, pine cones, acorns.
- Sidewalk chalkInstructions for nature Faces:
- Gather natural material , have the children choose all kinds of different items
- On the nature walk have them draw circles and create funny faces with the natural materials they find.Our Second Activity is a fun one for kids to do indoors on those chillier days or rainy days. Smile Grams are a creative way to show some kindness around the classroom.
Instructions on Creating Smile Grams:
- Take a picture of each child with their biggest smile.
- Enlarge the picture and cut out only the Childs smile.
- Using red construction paper cut out red lips.
- Glue the smiles to the red lips.
- Have the children decorate the lips with stickers and glitter.
- Have the children write a special note on the back of the lips but don’t have them sign their name.
- Put the smile, the smile gram and a couple of poems in an envelope and have the children turn their mail into you and you can disperse the envelopes around the classroom, in Friday folders or cubbies.Here is a poem to include:Smiling Is InfectiousAuthor UnknownSmiling is infectious,you catch it like the flu,When someone smiled at me today,I started smiling too.I passed around the cornerand someone saw my grin.When he smiled I realizedI'd passed it on to him.I thought about that smile,then I realized its worth.A single smile, just like minecould travel round the earth.So, if you feel a smile begin,don't leave it undetected.Let's start an epidemic quick,and get the world infected!Special note:Please pass this alongIt’s the Random Act of Kindness way!